The Dog House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dog Pound Golf Guide 2010

3 posters

Go down

Dog Pound Golf Guide 2010 Empty Dog Pound Golf Guide 2010

Post  Maverick Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:30 am

Hey pound,

The weather is getting nicer and I thought that I'd list out some options we have this spring for improving our golf games for the summer. Practice makes perfect and it's never too early to start.

DRIVING RANGES:

Waterloo Golf Academy
  • Outdoor only
  • Grass surface (bring your own tees)
  • Affordable prices $7.00 for medium bucket, $8.50 for large bucket.
  • Close enough to drive and not complain about having to waste gas getting there
  • Also offers nine-hole course

Max's Golf Centre Dome
  • Indoor dome offers climatized golf training environment during crappy weather
  • Elevated and ground level tee locations
  • Rubber tees (no need to use own tees)
  • Dome prices by time, not number of balls
  • $15 for 30 minutes, $19 for 45, and $24 for 60.
  • Quite a far drive for all of us

Max's Golf Centre
  • Elevated and ground level tee locations
  • Spots for rubber tees and regular grass tees
  • Large basket - $9, Jumbo basket - $11.00
  • Again, a far drive by the St. Jacobs Farmers Market

9-Hole & Par 3 Courses

Waterloo Golf Academy
  • 9-Hole course offered at same facility as driving range
  • We know the course and have played it several times over the summer
  • Offers a chipping/putting practice area
  • Affordable: $18 - Weekday, $22 - Fri, Sat, Sun, Holidays

River Edge Golf Club
  • 9-hole course with very up-scaled look to it
  • Dress code in effect
  • Located down by Sportsworld and right on the Grand River
  • Expensive but might be worth it as there are Par 3s, 4s, 5s
  • Weekdays (Mon-Thu) - $21 (w/ Student ID), Weekends (Fri-Sun + Holidays) - $24 (w/ Student ID)

Westhill Meadows
  • Our bread and butter 18-hole Par 3 course
  • Nothing new to report for 2010, same pricing structure as 2009
  • $16 on weekdays, $18 on weekends + holidays
  • Getting boring?

Full 18-Hole Courses

Doon Valley Golf Course
  • Viable option in terms of price and location
  • Over the winter they constructed 10 new holes and have expanded to the other side of the highway
  • Those new holes will be ready by June of 2010
  • Not sure if the original course will be opening before that
  • Price ranges depending on time of day and time during the year, but cheapest now would be 4pm or later on weekends ($21.00) or weekdays ($26.25).
  • Prices change once July 1st rolls around

Rockway Golf Course
  • Identical pricing structure to Doon Valley
  • Both owned and operated by the City of Kitchener so the clubhouse/amenities are similar
  • Never played there before but could be fun!

There are more than what I've listed for the 18 hole courses, but they are ridiculously overpriced and I don't think anyone is willing to go over the $25 dollar mark to lose at golf.

But this is just a guide so we have something to refer to when we want to know where to go. Also if anyone is down, I say we book a tee time for Good Friday, it's supposed to be something like 23 degrees out and sunny. Let's start the season off early this year!
Maverick
Maverick
Admin

http://dogpound.friendhood.net

Back to top Go down

Dog Pound Golf Guide 2010 Empty Re: Dog Pound Golf Guide 2010

Post  svedishsven Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:28 pm

I say we turn our golf playing into a league! How about AGF (Amateur Golf Federation) We could buy little trophies and stuff for our Masters events... keep stats right here to see how everyone is stacking up... go on tour across the region...

Lemme know what you think. Other league names are welcomed. I'm sure I could find us an active GM as well
svedishsven
svedishsven

Back to top Go down

Post  B-Dizzle Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:52 pm

I say we hit up a range on Friday, supposed to be a beautiful day
B-Dizzle
B-Dizzle

Back to top Go down

Post  Maverick Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:48 am

B-Dizzle wrote:I say we hit up a range on Friday, supposed to be a beautiful day

I second this. Tim said he works all day but we can still go
Maverick
Maverick
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  svedishsven Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:12 am

I will not be able to make it... Friday I'm going to be finishing up filming my movie for school during the day and then i have to go to Keri's family easter thing at 5.
svedishsven
svedishsven

Back to top Go down

Post  svedishsven Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:55 am

WESTHILL MEADOWS:

It was a cold and windy day at Westhill for the opening of the Dogpound's 2010 Golf season. Only three competitors braved the elements to come out and play 18 holes.

Stephan Petersen: Played only once last season and has limited golfing experience. His best score was an 86 at Westhill.
Bruno Amorim: Easily the most inconsistant golfer on tour. On a good day, he ends up just under 90 and on bad days he can push 100.
Rick Krause: Has emerged as a solid number 2. He once shot an impressive 67 and has become a legitimate challenger to Tim.

Stephan was in the lead early although all three players remained close through the early holes. Rick collapsed early after a phone call from his girlfriend got him off his game resulting in a score of 7 on hole 4. Stephan had slowly opened a 3 stroke lead on the pack by hole 9 but that would be erased when Bruno got a Bogey and Stephan took 7 shots to end the front 9.

Heading into the back 9, things couldn't have been closer as Stephan and Bruno shared the lead at 44 while Rick sat a stroke back at 45. Bruno would take sole possession of the lead on hole 10 and had a 2 stroke lead at one point but it all fell apart for him on hole 12. Bruno fell into a tie for the lead and then fell right to last place in 2 holes. meanwhile, Rick and Stephan remained close but Stephan never slipped behind him. They were seperated by only a stroke with 2 holes remaining...meanwhile, Bruno was way out of contention by now. Rick tied Stephan's bogey on 17 leaving it down to 1 hole to determine a winner. After Rick pooched his shot off the tee, Stephan just played things safe and tied Rick's double bogey for the win.

Final score:
Stephan 84
Rick 85
Bruno: 93
svedishsven
svedishsven

Back to top Go down

Post  svedishsven Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:21 pm

WESTHILL MEADOWS (Round 2):

Another beautiful day meant another 18 holes of Westhill... Rick was unable to attend today but in his place stepped Tim. Also teeing off were Stephan and Bruno.

Tim Borys: Is easily the most experienced and most talented golfer in the league. He has been quoted as stating his goal is to get a score under 60 this season.

Things stayed close early. It was only at hole 6 when Tim opened up a 2 stroke lead on the competition. Tim hit 4 consecutive pars which should have created a gap between him and the competition but Bruno stayed right with him hitting 3 pars and trailed by only 3 strokes after 9.

Bruno's game was greatly improved thanks to some coaching from Tim but after Bruno got into water trouble on 12, it all went bad. Bruno didn't hit a single par on the back 9 while Tim continued to string together consistant 3s and 4s. Stephan quietly went about his business. While he had only 3 pars, he got a bogey on most holes and ended up with only one 6. Tim won obviously but both Stephan and Bruno posted better scores, knocking off several strokes from their previous round.

Final Score:
Tim: 67
Stephan: 77
Bruno: 82
svedishsven
svedishsven

Back to top Go down

Post  Maverick Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:26 am

I cannot believe Bruno's insane front 9!!

Maybe we should start from 10 next time and see if that has any effect on things
Maverick
Maverick
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  B-Dizzle Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:51 pm

I think the problem is I get bored around hole 12, and lose all concentration. I shot 36 in the front 9, then 46 in the back 9
B-Dizzle
B-Dizzle

Back to top Go down

Post  Maverick Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:23 pm

Yeah that's what I'm saying, start from the back nine when you aren't bored and then you'll be on the easier holes when you actually start to lose concentration.

I personally think that's a recipe for success
Maverick
Maverick
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  svedishsven Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:03 pm

WESTHILL MEADOWS (Round 3):

It was a rematch of Round 1! Rick wanted his revenge after he lost by just 1 stroke to Stephan last time. Meanwhile, Bruno was hoping to get better after a brilliant front 9 last round.

Things didn't start very good for anyone. Stephan and Rick both shot triple bogeys on hole 1, birdies on hole 5 and posted identical scores after 9. Bruno wasn't too bad hitting only one 6 but a majority of 5's and sat 5 strokes back.

Then the players would get into water trouble. Rick and Bruno hit the water twice across holes 10 and 11. Stephan who managed to stay clear enjoyed a healthy lead which was slowly erased by Rick leading to the final hole. Stephan stepped up big time hitting a solid tee drive and got the par. It was down to a long par shot for Rick to tie and we would only narrowly miss the hole leaving a tap in for bogey. Overlooked on this day was Bruno's solid back 9 in which he hit a 40, 6 strokes improved from his previous performance!

Final Score:
Stephan: 72
Rick: 73
Bruno: 81
svedishsven
svedishsven

Back to top Go down

Post  svedishsven Sat May 01, 2010 3:21 am

WESTHILL MEADOWS (Round 4):

Things got a little more interesting in round 4. For starters, Conor was out for the first time this season and as the only lefty hitter in the league, he was hoping to make some noise. Undisputed league number 1 - Tim was out for only his second time this season and was going head to head with his nemesis Rick who is still looking for his first round win this year. And last but certainly not least was the always reliable Bruno who hasn't missed a round yet this year.

Conor distanced himself early by taking 9 strokes on hole 1 and was never able to really recover. Meanwhile, the rest of the pack stayed fairly close. After 9 holes, only 3 strokes separated the top 3 with Bruno holding a 2 stoke lead! Tim had a terrible day by his standards as he took 7 shots of hole 9 and got into water trouble on 12. Bruno would eventually crumble on hole 18 but his solid play to that point left him tied with Tim for 2nd place on the day... thats right, Tim didn't win!

Surprise, surprise. It was Rick who took home the glory as he finally won a round. Rick has been solid his last couple appearances but couldn't seem to get it done in the clutch losing twice by a stroke. It was a huge relief to finally win one.

FINAL SCORES:
Rick: 71
Bruno: 75
Tim: 75
Conor: 97
svedishsven
svedishsven

Back to top Go down

Post  svedishsven Sat May 15, 2010 1:48 am

WESTHILL MEADOWS (Round 5):

Latest round scores:
Tim: 71
Rick: 72
Bruno: 78

Let me know if these scores are incorrect...

On another note, the dogpound forum seems to be dying again. Please see my new post...
svedishsven
svedishsven

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down